This shop, built by Pearley Monroe about 1900, is representative of the many blacksmith shops in Coloma during and after the gold rush period. An essential member of the community, the blacksmith repaired and manufactured almost everything made from metal, including small hardware, wagons, and tools for both miners and farmers.
The Emmanuel Church was built in 1855 Episcopalians and Methodists. Rev. Charles Caleb Peirce was one of the first ministers. In 1921 this building became the property of the Methodists, who made extensive improvements in that year. Today, this church is an historical chapter of that time and is cared for by Marshall Gold discovery State Historic Park. Memorable weddings and special occasions can be held in this church – for more information, please visit “Weddings/Picnics” link.
Gold Discovery Site
James W. Marshall discovered gold in 1848 on the South Fork of the American River in the valley the Nisenan Indians knew as Cullumah. This event led to the greatest mass movement of people in the Western Hemisphere and was the spark that ignited the spectacular growth of the West during the ensuing decades. The gold discovery site, located in the still visible tailrace of Sutter’s sawmill, in present day Coloma California, is one of the most significant historic sites in the nation. Download our app to watch a video highlighting how this event changed California!
These are the ruins for the Coloma Jail. It was a rather elaborate structure for the time. Coloma was becoming a small town in the mid-to-late 1850′s. At this time Coloma held the county seat. Nearby Placerville was pushing… Learn more by downloading our Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park California App
This is the site of James Marshall’s 4th and last cabin. It is a reconstruction of the rough board cabin he once occupied here before moving on to other activities and locales. Inside are typical furnishings of the day, often hand-made on the site as there were no local furniture stories.
A statue of Marshall stands on top of the monument, pointing to the spot where he made his discovery in 1848.
Did you know that early miners in California first occupied tents before starting to construct cabins with cut lumber? Learn more about the Mormon Cabin and the history of American Frontiersman by downloading our App!
The Monroe House was built in the mid 1920′s by Pearly Monroe as rental property to rent along with the blacksmith shop he built next to it in the late 1920′s. Some local residents of Coloma say Pearly lived in the house the last few months of his life. Others say he lived in Sacramento. Thus the Monroe family history is an evolving story even today. Learn more about the Monroe Family by clicking here!
Affectionately called the Thomas House by many… this house, located on Back Street in Coloma, is actually the Noteware-Thomas House – named foe the first and last residents. The Noteware-Thomas house provides a glimpse into how a typical family might have lived in Coloma in the mid to late 1800′s. To learn more about the Noteware-Thomas House, click here!
This site once boasted a saloon, a bakery, and a confectionery store. The Papini House was built in the 1890′s using lumber from these previous structures… Learn more by downloading our Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park California App!
This stamp mill is one of the methods used to extract gold from quartz. A stamp mill was a mechanical crusher, noisy, heavy and somewhat awkward to operate. The stamps were heavy metal weights that were lifted and dropped on the ore by a crankshaft. The crushed ore would then be further refined, usually by a mercury or cyanide process. To learn more about the process, please visit our App!
St. John's Catholic Church
St. John’s Catholic Church was not the congregation’s original meeting place. A small log church was built in 1856 but as the membership grew the need for a larger building was fulfilled in 1858 with the construction of this standing building. Memorable weddings and special occasions can be held in this church – for more information, please visit “Weddings/Picnics” link.
Step back in time, back to 1920′s, and imagine what is was like to attend school in the one room schoolhouse in Coloma. There were usually a group of 12 to 20 students, ranging in age up to 8th grade.
This is a replica of the sawmill that was being built by James Marshall in 1847.
Wah Hop Store
Like others from around the world, the Chinese joined the California gold rush in hopes of finding quick wealth to take back home. In 1848 there were only tow Chinese in California. In 1850 there were 500, and their numbers began to increase quickly. By 1855 the Chinese population of California had swelled to 20,000.
The Weller House is located right on Highway 49. This charming farm style house and white picket fence dating back to the early 1850′s is named for the successful merchant Elias Weller. This home has also been known as the “Bramer House”, “St. Louis Exchange”, “Restaurant and Oyster Saloon”, and “Orleans Hotel”. To learn more about the Weller House, click here!